Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Two Things

Thing One: 

Abby is (I hope) finally on the mend. After much reading, compiling information and yet another doctor's appointment, it was finally (unofficially, of course) concluded that Abby may have a systemic candida overgrowth, possibly from the five courses of antibiotics she had in the space of six months (three of which were heavy-duty trying to clear a sinus infection that wouldn't die).

I had already suspected a couple of weeks ago that she was probably suffering from malnutrition for a variety of reasons (something the doctor pooh-poohed initially), but giving her a good-quality multivitamin and some almond milk every day has seemed to help. We also started probiotic drops today too. Of course, this is all very par for the course if your child is being treated by a DAN! doctor, but most mainstream medical practitioners won't really give these issues the time of day. Good old doc, bless his soul, was unhappy to admit it certainly was a possibility and was better than any theory he had about her mysterious illness.

Anyway, this only strengthens my resolve to carry on with our plans to pursue treatment using a naturopath to help improve her overall health status. Not that I'm expecting her epilepsy or Autism to be magically "cured", but I'm hoping to identify her unique health needs not normally treated by the mainstream medical community. My goal remains improving her overall health and quality of life.

Oh, and did I mention she quit having as many seizures within a couple of days of her starting the vitamins? Even after neurology had us reduce her nitrazepam down to a lower dose in case that was causing all the sleepiness?

And we're 48 hours without a seizure and counting?

Thing Two:

Ummm... I forgot. I'll let you know if I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment