Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Introductions

I finally decided that I needed a captive audience, even if that audience is my own computer and the million trillion bits of data flying around out there.

My name is Carolyn, and I live the middle of the bald prairie, as my Grandmother would call it. I have two children, one of which is "special needs", being diagnosed with Infantile Spasms at age of 7 months, and with Autism Spectrum Disorder at age 25 months (she is currently 32 months old). She also has sensory integration issues. We've literally been to hell and back over the past couple of years with her. I wish I had the foresight to document our journey earlier in the trip.

In addition, I have a 3 month old daughter who appears to be average in every way, and a wonderful husband who also appears to be "normal" in every way :P.

We are practical Catholics, and living our faith has meant the difference between surviving and thriving while traveling on this road instead of crashing and burning. I'm trying very hard to learn to be frugal and to learn the "lost arts" of homesteading. We dearly want to buy farm land some day so I can have my 2 acres of gardens and chickens, even though we've both essentially have lived our entire lives in a city. I guess I'm just a prairie girl at heart.

One of the greatest influences in my life has been my grandmother (sorry mum). Often, you'll see expressions crop up in what has been loving termed "grandma-eze", which reflect her ... ahem... shall we say unique way of expressing herself. My husband just laughs.

We laugh a lot.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to find you, Carolyn! My husband and I are also Catholics interested in homesteading, but for now we're still in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I'm always excited to "meet" kindred spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete